It has been quite a strange, funny, enlightening, challenging, joyful and unexpected journey from the big bad city of Chicago to Portland, OR to a home and garden in Milwaukie, OR. Within the span of 2 years I went from being a single, recent transplant to a homeowner, wife and mother. I couldn't be happier but do have my moments of panic while wondering when my head will stop spinning....
Sunday, February 13, 2011
"What fresh hell is this....?"
Well, maybe “hell” is a bit mellow dramatic but damn! it has been a little rough around here lately! When you are married to a beekeeper you quickly learn that are stretches of time in February and March when your loving man will be running off to California with a few truck loads of females and leave you flying solo for two weeks at time. This is because commercial beekeeping means you transport your bees to orchards and fields and such for them to do their work and pollinate. That is where the real money is – not in honey or wax but in the “sexy” part of what bees do. Which begs the question: did I marry an interspecies pimp?! Okay, I digress (the beekeeping community would also be horrified by me right now). Now is one of those times and it seems that we are cursed! A plague upon our house complete with illnesses and mechanical failures of all kinds. I have been struggling with a flu (which manages to encompass every kind of symptom you can imagine –yuck) for a good 9 days now, our asthmatic cat has been having a marathon asthma attack that has been flaring up for over a week and Little Buddy’s nasty wet cough is back again. My mother-in-law ended up getting sick too which meant she was unable to babysit this week so I had to take more time off work. If the truth be told this was not so bad since I am still trying to fully recover myself; a seemingly impossible task when you have an energetic, willful, dare devil of a toddler to look after all by yourself. The car is also now leaking transmission fluid like a mutha and various minor household appliances have been acting wacky. Now in the face of all this I do recognize that these are relatively minor problems that will all seem terribly small once my Honey comes home but in the meantime: OUCH! It makes me realize how truly amazing single parents are and I commend them. I think we should propose as National Single Parent Awareness Day where free child care and free drinks should be provided along with free massage, free movie tickets and free entry to sporting events to all single parents. Those guys and gals need a serious break a little appreciation! Who’s with me?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment